Saturday, 28 March 2009

Anti You Interview



Who am I talking to and what do you do in Anti You?

Paolo: I hope you're talking to nobody, it would be rude and disrespectful if you were talking to somebody while reading an interview. Anyway my name is Paolo and I play drums.

Pg: I’m Pierluigi and I play guitar. Kind of.

What's life like in Italy?

Paolo: I guess it must be the same as everywhere in the world. You're born, you cry, you suck some titties, you grow up, you cry, you suck some titties, you mourn, you die. Not specifically you. I really hope you never die.

Pg: I guess there’s something missing in what Paolo just said. Or maybe he just doesn’t get laid. Anyway, life in Italy pretty much sucks. I still don’t have a job, and that’s maybe good (who likes to work?), but I don’t have money either, and that’s not good. And it’s all Italy’s fault. Apart from that, we have good weather (everywhere but in Milan), the best food and shitty music. And shitty political situation.

How's the music scene over there?

Paolo: Our mainstream music sucks major ass. Let's just say that the music you used to hate would be your favourite ever if you had to choose between it and Italian mainstream music. Fortunately there's a hardcore scene too, and it kinda rocks. If I had to name a couple of bands, the ones in my head right now are La Crisi and Smart Cops.

Pg: Smart Cops and La Crisi rule. Also Coloss, The Fourth Sin, LxExAxRxNx, Ed and few others.

What's the best thing about living in Italy?

Paolo: Food and soccer.

Pg: Juventus Football Club and food.

What's the worst?

Paolo: Prime Minister, resurgent fascism, incompatibility with region 1 dvds and videogames.

Pg: Moreover, too many cars, too much traffic, in Rome especially. And the beer is too expensive.

How did your American tour go?

Paolo: It was far beyond our expectations. We loved playing basements and meeting nice people. We loved being on the road with Religious SS Disorder, our crazy Michiga3n friends and experiencing the US from the road perspective. And we discovered Whole Foods.

Pg: it was great. We played with amazing bands (to name a few: Government Warning, Libyans, Rational Animals, Coke Bust, American Cheersburger, Merkit, Cult Ritual, Double Negative, Oppressed Logic, I Hate This), the shows where great, we met lots of nice people, we’ve been always very well treated.

How did you guys hook up with No Way Records?

Pg: Brandon wrote us few months before the tour, offering to repress our first CD (that was out on SOA Records) on LP or 7”, so that we could have the record out for the US tour. And so it was. Then we met the guys in Richmond and found the greatest hospitality ever, great people.. and probably the best show of the tour!

Who does all your cover art?

Paolo: A guy called Sandro aka Scarful. He shared an apartment with our singer when we came out with our debut CD, so we found it natural and comfy to ask him to draw our cover. He came out with the logo too. After that, and after the house mates parted ways to both become parents, we decided to keep relying on Scarful for the covers even if he's always been slow and lazy and now that he's a father he'll be even lazier and slower. Lazy and slow, that's how we roll.

What are your tour plans for the future?

Paolo: Parenting made things a little bit more difficult, our niece (Andrea's daughter) Caterina is just a couple of months old now so we're waiting her to grow up a little before making relevant plans. Andrea's baby momma needs help right now and we wouldn't take her dude away from her for any reason. Poor girl.

Are you putting anything out soon?

Paolo: We're working on new material, which is amazingly identical to our previous material. If we had spare covers from our previous records we would use them for the next one, nobody would notice. Anyway we have no "record deal" with anybody and Andrea's parenting gives us all the time in the world to think about our record and the way we want it to sound, look, taste and even feel under you fingers.

Pg: We have a bunch of new songs which we are recording very soon and release in the next future, probably on 7”.

Any shoutouts?

Paolo: The people that helped us with our tour. Punks Before Profits Records, No Way Records, Puke and Vomit Records, Whole Foods, Blockbuster Video, the dealer who sold me weed in Buffalo: cheap and classy.

Any last words or advice?

Paolo: Beware: sucking too many titties can lead to teeth problems. Suck them carefully.

Pg: Advice? I wish I could give some.

Thanks a lot to Anti You for the interview.

No comments:

alistairclark89<<>>gmail<<>>com