Thursday, 19 March 2009

Coke Bust Interview



Can you start off with a history of the band?

Nick: Yeah, in 2006 my friend Parsons and I were super bored trying to start a band that sounded like Suicidal Tendencies. We called a few people and recruited our friend Chris from Magrudergrind to do it. He was down, but we still needed a guitarist. We tried doing it with this one guy named Jimmy, but he wanted to play too slow. So, we both knew this older guy named Jeremy and he seemed really cool to us younger kids. We hit him up and to our surprise, he agreed to do the band. Since then we've put out a few records and played some shows all over the place.

Jeremy: Nick is always so eloquent with the beginnings of the band. I couldn't have said it better myself.

Can you elaborate a bit on the statement "fuck bar culture"?


Nick: This was originally supposed to be just a song, not the name of our 7". The lyrics to the song are not specifically about bars, but alcoholism with kids my age who had just turned the legal age and started spending every dollar and spare hour getting fucked up because their lives are so miserable. So that's where the name came from... just basically saying fuck that downward spiral and culture behind just getting fucked up over and over again. People make it mean what they want it to mean, and that's cool. Some people construe it in weird ways and construe it as if we're a "hardline" or militant straight edge (I hate that term) band. We most certainly are not.

Jubert: Bars suck.



How important do you think coming from Washington DC has been for you music/life?

Nick: Huge! Hardcore, punk, and straight edge are all life-changing things for me. I honestly have no idea what I would be doing if I wasn't doing punk stuff. Also, I was lucky enough to have a really great friend base in high school that I skated, jammed, and hung out with so I must acknowledge that too.

Jubert: Washington DC and the area around it have a lot of awesome bands and that gets me stoked on punk. Pretty important.

Jeremy: I got into hardcore and punk shortly after I moved to the dc area in 1988 so therefore the bands I was exposed to were local DC bands. To me hardcore was Minor Threat and Bad Brains and Dischord Records. It was a few years before i really knew about other bands. So I would say just those first few years really shaped the way I approach the music.


Do you think you'd still be doing what you're doing if you came from somewhere different?

Nick: Probably. Although I'm sure a lot of our favorite bands/influences would be different. I feel like a lot of that stuff is determined by who you hang out with a young age and what you are exposed to. Like I said before, I feel lucky to be from where I am.

Jubert: No.

Jeremy: I think about that sometimes. I can't say for sure. Though it wasn't a particular person in the area that got me into punk. I found out about that all on my own. So in some way or another I more than likely would be involved in some other area's hardcore punk scene. Though my views and approach to it would more than likely be a little different, along with my influences.


You guys say on myspace that you want to play everywhere. Where's the weirdest place you've played?

Nick: Well by everywhere we mean every city, haha. But I am all about shows at non-conventional places. I don't think we've played any really weird places. We were supposed to play a show on a boat last year, but that didn't come through.

Jeremy: I'm down to play anywhere. If there are kids that want us to play in their backyard in Nome, Alaska I'll do it.

How's recording for your new LP going?

Nick: It's all done! It went very well. I urge everyone on the east coast to check out Joe Mitra and Wired Wrists Studios. Awesome. But yeah, the LP is 17 new songs. It will be out on Six Weeks Records by May of 09. We're super pumped on how it came out.

Jeremy: Joe Mitra did us solid with this recording. 17 tracks of pure hardcore punk thrash.


How're the plans for your summer tour shaping up?

Nick: Great! We will be doing most of it with Sick Fix who also have Jeremy and Chris. It's always great going out with them. We will be playing all over the place. For updates and info, check our website.

Jubert: Badly.

Jeremy: Summer 09, world domination pt 4. Get ready.


Aside from the LP, what are your future release plans?

Nick: Damn! I don't know, man. Right now we are focusing on getting this LP out first and then getting the tour booked. After that I'm sure we'll start thinking about another record!

Jubert: Live tape.

Nick: Oh yeah, we're doing a split live tape with Sick Fix for the US tour. That will be cool.

Jeremy: The live tape is still in the infant planning stages and there has been very casual talk of doing another 7". Something in the vein of the Fuck Bar Culture record. Super fast and almost too short.

Nick: Haha hopefully this time it won't be 3 minutes.

Do you guys have any shoutouts?

Nick: Listen to Duress from Chicago. They are my favorite new band.

Jubert: Gaithersburg straightedge, Gaithersburg punx, Gaithersburg skins.

Jeremy: Chicago wolfpack! Seriously, check out what's coming out of Chicago right now. Some amazing bands packed with some amazing people.


Any last words/advice?

Nick: Thanks for the interview! Check out our website. It has a lot of cool stuff on it.

Jubert: www.cokebust.com

Nick: Seriously though, www.cokebust.com is the shit. Backed.

Jeremy: Thanks for asking us to do this. Always awesome to meet new people from faraway places.



Thanks so much to Coke Bust for the awesome interview.
alistairclark89<<>>gmail<<>>com